My photo
Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/portomnibus

Saturday, September 12, 2009

Starbucks Job, Day 1

I planned to wake up around 5:30am so that I could get ready and make it to work 15 minutes before 7AM...but I did not do that :( Instead, I woke up FIVE minutes before the time I was supposed to be at work. I got up, got dressed and washed my hair in the sink. I had no time to brush my teeth. So, I chewed orbit white gum to make my mouth feel "clean" and minty. I also ate half of my Luna nutrition bar on the way. Halfway to work, I got a call from my boss, Dreama. She told me I was late and I explained that I was on my way.

When I got there, she didn't yell at me. The first thing she did was take a picture of me looking confused. It was for the "picture call" on her cell. We laughed at the fact that I was SO tired. Ha. When she laughs, she's like: EAHEAHEAHEAHEAHEAHEAHEAH! She's kind of obnoxious. The female janitor is also VERY VERY loud and obnoxious. I don't know if she's crazy (I'm kind of exaggerating).

I was SO tired that I was still mentally asleep. I was having a hard time thinking and a hard time hearing. My attention span was still poor. I didn't even get half of what my boss said. She didn't take it a big deal. We did some paper work and then I began the online training courses. Before that, I had swiped my time card so that I could get paid! :D The online courses took me ALL day (around 8:30am to 3PM); HOURS to complete! I am only halfway done...

My lunch time is ONLY 30 minutes! Today, on my lunch break, I went to my room to get my social securtiy card so that Dreama could copy it, and then I went to the cafeteria to see what was being offered. I didn't want what they were serving. I didn't have time anyway. So, I walked back to safeway, having only 8 mins left. I bought a delicious sandwhich and a fruit punch flavored gatorade, to eat. I ate it during my training, after I checked in.

In my training, I have to learn about the history of safeway and how it functions, the business, how to serve customers, how to handle situations, etc etc. And then, I had learned how to use the starbucks cash register and computer, etc. It was all boring. I just can't wait to learn that stuff, by physically doing it (rather than interactively with the online courses)!

Here are some pictures of stuff I got :D I will take a picture of me, fully dressed in my uniform, tomorrow. Click images for a larger view (not too big, though).

Includes Starbucks hat, Starbucks green apron, and my name tag!!!
A Stabucks kit to be a Barista!
2 Starbucks VIAReady Brew instant packages. More info: Link
Starbucks Passport and The Green Apron Book
A hideous colored yellow starbucks shirt that my boss gave me because she didn't know anyone my size (small). Front:
Back:


I am having second thoughts about the job, now. I know it will be hard work and I am willing and excited to do it. I am just afraid that I won't have enough time to do my homework and study. Let's hope it will go smoothly. *Keeps fingers crossed*

Until then,

Michael

P.S.
My homework is to read the short story Araby by James Joyce, for english 203; read for psychology, modules 2, and 18-20; and do my online math assignments.

And Good Luck Alisha. :D Put a smile on your face.

and, of course, thanks Bri. I LOVE all of your comments lmao.

2 comments:

  1. yay ! Mike's an adult now ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. aha XD thanks mike for the luck ^.^ and ONG these luna bars rock. :P ok so they arent the best i've had, but they taste great. nuts and chocolate, now this is what you call fake peanut butter. XP lol well thats what it tastes like to me in a way but the after taste you can taste the Minneapolis lol.. i bought two so im saving the other for work *is currently eating her first luna bar as she types* XDD lol. but... darn this thing is making me thirsty while i'm eating it...

    but wow... seriously mike? late for work on your first day :P. well, at least you didnt get fired on your first day, keep up the hard work, and good luck with all that online stuff, sounds soo not fun :P. and lol about your new boss too :P. i can sense a lot of stuff happening to you at that new job, a whole new adventure! lol... but still... only a 3o minute lunch break? that sucks, but hey, you dont work 24/7 right? you had time to eat your sandwich while you were working on the online things so... yah... it wont be busy ALL the time i hope...

    munch munch... luna bar is finished XDD gee this after taste is weird mike!

    O.o; nuts over chocolate... catchy slogan.
    -alisha

    ReplyDelete